Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Peace on Earth and Good Wheels to Man

It's Christmas time in the city...and everywhere else.  I love Christmas time.  I love everything about it...the music, the lights, the spiritual aspects and I'll just get this out of the way now, I love getting gifts.  I know, I know, it is better to give than to receive.  I've heard that my entire life and I know that it is even biblical, but I've received from pretty good stuff during my 34 years and I'm looking forward to getting some pretty good stuff this year.  So far, I've received a few gift cards to LifeWay, a John Phillips Commentary on Romans, some money, and two pair of black dress socks.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Now if only someone would get me some new underwear.

Don't get me wrong, I like giving as well.  I really enjoy going Christmas shopping with my wife.  Now I'm not a nut who wants to get up and 4am and go on Black Friday, but I do enjoy picking out gifts for my family and friends.  I even enjoy giving to those I don't know.   For several years now, we have given gifts to children in need.  We like to go as a family and choose gifts that will make Christmas special for some needy children.  We have done the operation Christmas child, angel tree, and secret santa for different families.  Never have we actually met those we provided presents for and that's okay.  It was a blessing to us to be able to give.  It is something that we chose to do.  Now, I'm not telling you this to toot my own horn and make myself sound pious.  It is simply to explain the difference in choosing to give and giving without knowing.  I'll explain.

Heather, the kids, and myself have been out of town for the last several days.  My sister got married and we had pre-Christmas with our extended families.  As we returned home today, you can imagine the chaos that ensued.  We unloaded the car of all our clothes and Christmas gifts.  Kids were running and playing.  Parents were sinking into chairs and beds for naps.  All was right with the world...then...I noticed that the front porch looked a little bare.  I couldn't put my finger on it (pun intended) at first, but then I figured it out.  Bicycles.  That's right.  Both of my kids bicycles had been stolen.  

Evidently, someone wished for bicycles for Christmas.  And it looks like they will get their wish.  With the economy and all, I guess they were needed.  Really, I don't mind giving bicycles away for Christmas.  If I knew a kid that needed a bike, I wouldn't be against going and getting one for him or her.  But ask first!  Don't just take my kids' stuff.  Silver lining...my kids are getting scooters for Christmas...and new bikes.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Like I told you on the phone ... I was not expected such a sad post with such a funny title! You definitely have a way with words. :)